Patrols are a temporal segmentation, it documents a subject and reports during a certain period of time.
Some examples of what a Patrol could be:
- Documenting animal behavior
- Documenting investigations
- Tracking game drives
- Planning and documenting work for the operations team
- Canine training
You can now track Patrols in your EarthRanger Mobile app and it will be synced up to your EarthRanger site in real time when the mobile app has internet connectivity.
In order to start a Patrol you have to make sure that you have the required permissions.
How to start a new Patrol
There are two ways to start your Patrol on EarthRanger Mobile:
- In the Track Location Map View of your application you will have two buttons to start tracking and start patrols. You can initiate the start of a Patrol by tapping the “Start Patrol” button.
- In the upper left hand corner there is a tracking overlay that when expanded includes the Patrol name the user started. Next to the Patrol name is a switch which can be used to start and end a patrol.
Any of these two methods will prompt the selection of the type of Patrol.
A screen with the Patrol information will appear. You can add a personalized Patrol Title and select the Tracked by device. To start the Patrol you will have to tapp on Start Patrol button or on Start on the top right.
Once the Patrol is started, you will be able to see the Patrol details when tapping on the Patrol icon on the map.
An action sheet will display with the Name of the Patrol, the date when started, the Patrol ID, Coordinates of the lcation started, status of the Patrol and the ability to end the Patrol with a button.
While a Patrol is active you cannot end Tracking until you end the patrol.
All data is stored locally on the device when the app is offline and not able to upload Patrol data to an EarthRanger site.
Events and Tracks will continue to upload whenever it is possible. And those Events and tracks will automatically be associated with the Patrol when the Patrol is uploaded.
EarthRanger version 2.2.4